Full Site Search

Welcome to the Caravan on Tour forum!
Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New member - Dave

• DaveA1963
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #1461 by DaveA1963
New member - Dave was created by DaveA1963
G'day all!
My wife and I are getting close to retirement and had originally intended to head overseas and set up house in Portugal or Italy before trekking through Europe in a campervan. For obvious reasons, that trip is now off the agenda and that looks likely to remain the case for quite a while.
We've now decided to buy a van and get out there and see a lot more of our wonderful country.
We've just purchased a new Pajero Sport GLS as the tow vehicle and are looking to buy our van Q1 2021.
We're hoping that we'll be able to find some good advice on the most suitable rig from the members here!
Cheers!
Dave & Karyn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #1462 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic New member - Dave
One thing I'll recommend you do before buying any van.
Is go check out the Lemon Caravan list (the full list is in the files section)
www.facebook.com/groups/lemoncaravansinaus/

The list a REAL Eye opener, and exposes many faults that some caravans manufacturers ignore, and shows the extent they try to deceive unsuspecting people, who buy their products.

• DaveA1963
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #1463 by DaveA1963
Replied by DaveA1963 on topic New member - Dave
Thanks Garry!

I'll be sure to check it out.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #1493 by hardball
Replied by hardball on topic New member - Dave
Shame the Lemon List is restricted to Facebook account holders.
I refuse to create an account just to access a 'read only' file.
I guess that's just baggage when you come from an IT background. Maybe Garry could do a cut & paste? Links are nice as shortcuts but their ought not to be the expectation that everyone should have to put their profile out there for Facebook to sell to advertising agencies just to access information that is public domain.
In the meantime New Member Dave has purchased a vehicle thst has won the Paris to Dakkar rally what? 12 times in 20 yrs? The only major mod was to the suspension with double shock absorbers as I recall. 3.1 ton braked towing capacity.
For extreme adventure off roading visit the Black Series campers. Got a showroom in Warwick Farm if you're a Sydneyite. Been at that place for at least the last 15 yrs. Maybe longer. I live up the street.
Their campers are top end, single axle off roading types that are typically 2,600 kgs. They acheive this by being predominantly soft tops so some effort required when setting up camp ie, a bit like trailer campers which is all very nice to save weight but you can't wrap up wet canvas and leave it stored for long periods in that condition. You have to put it up again to dry it. But if youre a "lets go to the Top End' sort of guy they will suit you down to the ground. Bear in mind aircon doesnt work too good with canvas.
OK. Being honest, they are not just like trailer campers, they are high end trailer campers with coil overs and electric drum brakes. Not sure how all that electric brake stuff interacts with modern vehicles that have CANBUS wiring architecture but there you have it.
If however the missus.likes the comforts of home like a bathroom, jacuzzi, washing machine, spa, tv & aircon then backtrack about 2 k's up the road to the showroom for New Age vans in Lansvale. They're at the top of my street. Been there since Holden pulled out. About 4 yrs now. Their vans typically come in at your braked towing capacity but they are verrrrry nice.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by hardball. Reason: typo

More
3 years 3 months ago #1496 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic New member - Dave
Hi Dave
Your new vehicle should do Melbourne to Sydney in the blink of an eye, and with a 3.1 ton towing capacity, you will have no problems dragging a 4x6 trailer along for the ride haha.;)

P.S. it sounds like the Black Series campers are a decent choice.
I don't know of them personally.

P.S.S New Age caravans are on the Facebook Lemon List.
The Lemon list is maintained by Tracy Leigh on FaceBook, and I'm not permitted to share it. (But feel free to ask me if any van is on the list and I'll look it up for you)

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds